While technology advancing every day is largely a good thing, it can pose a lot of distractive threats to drivers. It can seem like there is always another distraction on the road each day. Thankfully, you can defend yourself from distracted driving by taking preventative measures.
The steps you take today can save lives tomorrow, so take a quick moment today to see how you can protect yourself and others on the road.
Things you can do to be safer on the road
Here are just a few things you can do to make the road a safer place:
- Avoid driving while tired: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), drivers who had less than 6 hours of sleep the night before are more likely to fall asleep behind the wheel. Even a second of dozing off while driving is enough to take lives.
- Keep it calm in your car: By limiting the number of people in your car, as well as their behavior, you can ensure that you are able to apply all your focus on the road. When you have to worry about rowdy behavior in the back seat, things can turn deadly.
- Keep your hands free: From make-up to food, many drivers try to sneak in a quick bite of food or a fast lipstick application. Every second your eyes are looking for that last fry or the lipstick cap is another second you can seriously injure yourself and others.
- Hands off your phone: Trying to get a short text in at a stoplight or even updating your GPS can be a deadly distraction. Many smartphones allow you to speak to your phone in a hands-free mode, which can help you keep your eyes on the road. It is even better if you cannot use your phone at all.
- Remember the road comes first: Other drivers cannot see that you are not paying attention, so do not rely on everyone else to watch out for you. If something other than the road needs your attention, just pull over for a moment.
Keeping all of these rules in mind can make the difference between life and death for you and countless other people.
Learn the consequences of distracted driving
You can learn more about what kind of damage distracted drivers can do on the road here, and what you can do if you are a victim of distracted driving.