Skilled Trial Lawyers For

The Seriously Injured

What Steps Should You Take After A Car Accident?

No one expects to have a car accident. Most people are shaken up after an accident, even if they were not seriously injured, and may have a difficult time remembering what steps they should take. At Holmes & Wiseley, P.C., we often talk with accident victims who have questions about steps they should take. This list is a friendly reminder of what to do after a car accident:

  • Seek medical attention: Injuries that may seem minor at the time of the accident may turn out to be more serious than you thought. Some worsen over a few hours or even days later. Early treatment can improve your chances of recovery.
  • Report the accident and all injuries: You must stop after any accident, and you must report an accident that has resulted in property damage over $1,000 or causes injury to the police. Check others for injuries if you are not seriously injured.
  • Obtain information from the other driver: Do not admit fault or engage in any other conversation other than asking for their contact and insurance information.
  • Contact your insurance company: Report your accident so you can claim benefits under Michigan’s no-fault law. You should not give a statement or sign any type of release without talking with an attorney first.
  • Request a copy of the police report: The report may become important if you bring a lawsuit.
  • Take photos: Once the evidence of the accident is gone, you may have a difficult time proving what happened. Photos can be helpful. You may also collect contact information from any witnesses to the accident.

Please keep in mind that your health and safety are paramount. If you are too injured to do anything other than the first item on the list, wait till you are able enough to complete the other steps.

Navigating The Legal System

Michigan law regarding car accidents contains specific rules for its no-fault insurance system. Although you may not have caused the accident, your insurance contains a personal injury protection (PIP) clause that covers most of your medical bills and lost wages. This does not mean you cannot sue the other driver. The attorneys at Holmes & Wiseley, P.C., are happy to discuss your options with you at no charge.

Call For A Free Consultation

If you have questions about what to do after your car accident, call our Grand Rapids office at 616-649-1411 or send an email. We offer free consultations.